Tuesday, December 14, 2010

An Unfortunate Read

As I review my posts, I've noticed I hardly have a bad word to say about most books. That is, of course, because I have excellent taste (insert sarcasm). Well finally I have a negative review! I'm rather excited, so get ready for my ferocious analysis!

I tried. I really did. I gave Lemony Snicket a few tries and he continues to disappoint me. Book five of the Series of Unfortunate Events, "The Austere Academy", was indeed unfortunate. I can't learn to like the characters and I spend the whole book waiting for the end when it will be done. I couldn't even finish this book. What do children see in these books? Poor orphans continuously afraid for their lives and without hope of happiness or love except between themselves. Honestly the only reason I picked this up was to figure out what happens in the end. I suppose I should have just picked up the last book, "The End", to see how things turn out. Call me old fashioned, but I like keeping things in order.

Snicket warns of the sad turn out of his characters and he really should be taken at his word. At the beginning of this book I'm pretty sure he even says don't read this if you don't like depressing stories. Why didn't I stop there?! It's because that's how they're marketed. Like they know they suck, but people like an adventure, so by saying "Do Not Enter!" it will attract people who think "I'm daring!". Again let me tell you, you don't hate yourself this much! It's not a fun adventure! Let me liken this to an owner giving a dog a slice of cheese. O how that dog loves cheese, but wait! What's that terrible taste? It's the pill that was inserted inside the cheese. That's right pup, you were fooled.

Maybe some people out there like the writing and the storytelling the books have to offer, but my recommendation is to leave them on the shelf. They look pretty, but what a waste of time! I think Young Adult/Children's literature has a lot to offer. This series makes me eat my words, and they sure do taste bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment