Sunday, January 2, 2011

Elementary my dear Reader.

Does Sherlocke Holmes ever go out of style? That's a rhetorical question. If you don't know the answer please stop reading now. Yes I am being a snob, but I think by recognizing that it takes away some of the ill favor that marries itself with snobbery.

Anywho chaps, if you haven't read any Holmes, no worries. Sherlocke is a classic figure that nearly everyone recognizes for good reason. This is one bloody brilliant fictional character (though I doubt Doyle was a dim wit himself) and his stories make for good reading.

The Hound of the Baskervilles is perhaps his most famous book and my second literary encounter with Sherlocke. Always the logical, detail oriented, violin playing, addict, Holmes is up against what he takes to be his most worthy opponent. A family phantom in the form of a wolf is stalking the great Baskerville family, killing the current male taking residence at the family estate. Watson goes with the newest member to take possession to see if he can gather clues for Holmes and what follows is an interesting account of the people, place, and events that occur.

I enjoyed reading this book. I'm not terribly fond of mystery novels because I just want to know what happened or who done it. Doyle is a fantastic writer and keeps his audience engaged and fascinated by the story and Sherlocke's mannerisms and explanations. I still found myself wanting to get to the end so I could learn who the culprit was and why they did it. I suggest giving Baskerville a shot. It's a classic, and not one of the dry ones that everyone says they read, but never did. There is life within these pages and Sherlock is an intriguing character. Sit down, get your pipe, magnifying glass, and plaid cape ready and read perhaps the most famous and brilliant fictional detective that has been written.

No comments:

Post a Comment