Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Michael Caine in written form

I love Michael Caine. He seems like a down-to-earth, funny guy who appreciates a good time and a good conversation. I was excited about finding his new autobiography on the shelf a couple months back and immediately added it to my requests at my local library.

The book is rather general. Caine doesn't go into much detail about events, movies, friends, or reflections on his life, so the whole book felt a little surface level. To me that was a bit disappointing. Some of his reflections seemed cliche, but then again, I suppose many life experiences and our thoughts on them become cliche. As is expected with a Hollywood actor, he name dropped...a lot. Some of the instances felt unnecessary. Why did he need to include a part about talking to Julia Roberts on the phone? I don't know.

I was a little disappointed by the lack of insight and detail in the book. I would like to know more about his experiences in the '60s or some depth about what it's like to work on a film set. Caine is not a writer, however, so I feel I can't judge too harshly. He tries and he does a pretty good job. I can feel his personality shining through the pages, which I very much appreciate. It's an easy read and it is pretty fun, but it just isn't deep. I still love the man and I feel like I better understand him. If you like Michael Caine, give it a read. Just expect a fluff piece.

3 comments:

  1. Well that is a shame. I can't believe he didn't mention our phone conversations! No more tea and biscuits for him. But in all seriousness that is a shame. What is the point of making an autobiography filled with general information that I can find out through the internet or by stalking him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LD has a point. As you know, I'm an OBSESSED fan of his, but I think I'll skip the read after your review. If possible, I have a couple autobiographies (memoirs) I'd love for you to review: Judi Dench's "And Furthermore" and Dawn French's "Dear Fatty." Judi's is a recent release while Dawn's has been out for several years.

    Also, Dawn French apparently wrote a fiction book titled "A Tiny Bit Marvelous"-- I'm sure that's also worth a read. I know, I should get to a library but mine doesn't carry them. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you guys can post!! Yeah!!!

    It wasn't a disappointing read, but it just wasn't deep and I did feel like a lot of it could be found on wikipedia.

    I'd love to take a look at the autobiographies you suggested HP!

    ReplyDelete