Tuesday, November 2, 2010

These are a Few of my Favorite Things!

My Darling Sister makes a fine point. I will now dedicate this post to my favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aren't you excited?

Well picking books is like picking children, sort of. All of us bookies have favorites, but books have personalities. You love them for different reasons. Some because they allow you to escape everything ('The Hobbit'), some because they are meta ('The Power Book') and some because they touch you and speak to your soul ('The Awakening'). So for me I cannot put books in order of most favored to least, but I can mention some that have meant a lot to me (such as the ones above).

My go to book WHENEVER someone asks what is my favorite (don't you hate that question!) is
'Pride and Prejudice'. It's a classis and Jane Austen is a brilliant writer, sociologist and psychologist. First and foremost, Elizabeth Bennet, who's name I stole for my username, is perhaps the strongest literary woman out there. She states her mind, but isn't a bitch. She has manners, values, and a personality that resonates through the pages. At the same time, she isn't perfect. This is a woman who makes snap judgements about people and is proven wrong, but she learns from it. I can flip through this book any day and instantly feel better.
O and for those interested in more reasons to love Jane Austen give 'A Truth Universally Acknowledged' by Susannah Carson a shot. It's a collection of essays by all sorts of writers about Jane Austen and her works. It emphasizes my above point. A Truth Universally Acknowledged

'Grendel'- It has been a few years since I've read this book, but it still always comes back to my mind. It's about the monster of 'Beowulf', Grendel. But this isn't the cruel, mindless monster of legend. Grendel is existential, philosophical and emotional. This book is short, but chalk full of depth, but it's still accesible.

'The Hobbit'- As I said above, it's a trip. Literally it takes you to a far away land. Tolkein is brilliant! He created what every child wants, a make believe land, but this is no Never Never Land. There are different species, languages, cultures, mythologies. 'The Hobbit' is my favorite because it packs in all of those elements with a band of great characters, Bilbo, Gandalf, and all the dwarves. It's a fun adventure.

Ok I've named off a few of my favorites and explained why. There are so many more in there, but it's boring for me to do all the talking. I want to know what you recommend! What have become some of your favorites and why?

2 comments:

  1. Someone just asked me "What book would you consider transformational in your life?" What a question, right!? That's quite a lofty challenge for any book or person for that matter - to truly challenge the way you live your life, not just what you think about life or a story. One book came to mind "George Mueller: Delighted in God." I suppose because it's a biography the transformational impact of the book rests in the truth George Mueller's life.

    So, I ask, is there any book you've read that you would consider transformational, not just a favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. O my. I guess the first book that pops into my head is 'The Awakening'. I find that kind of funny/strange considering she commits suicide and most people hate her, but Edna made me realize that you can't live a marginal life. A woman can't be stuck in a corner and be expected to deal with it. Don't accept bad or even mediocre situations. This life has so much to offer and it's too short not to live it to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete