Monday, December 13, 2010

Searing order of pessimism with a side of humble pie

You got to give it to Anthony Bourdain, the guy can break people down. No one is safe from his scalding tongue, yet sometimes that's just what I need. In "Medium Raw", his latest book, he is beginning to mellow out. Although still critical of upscale dining, food critics, and chefs alike, he takes the time to apologize for past injuries he may have inflicted and enjoy life around him.

If you like Tony's show "No Reservations", then you'll enjoy his writing. He writes like he speaks, which I find enjoyable. I could hear his voice in my head (I'm not schizophrenic I swear!) reading me line for line.  At certain instances I found myself lost when he started naming off different food world people and places.

I like Bourdain. He's cynical and sometimes it seems like nothing is good enough for him, but this guy knows his shit (potty mouth inspired by Tony). He loves food and he loves the people who put their heart into their work. I can appreciate that. Obviously when Tony doesn't like you, watch your ass. But his brass balls are refreshing. He's giving it to the man, something I could never do and it's nice to know that 10 course meals and overpriced fare are not all the bee's knees. Just because something has a high price tag or was made by someone famous doesn't mean it will be spectacular. Maybe that's obvious, but I always need reminding that everything that glitters ain't always gold!

I enjoyed reading this book for the most part. There were instances I felt the need to put it down and read something more cheery. Still it was an easy read, and out of my typical scope of reading. Again, if you're a Bourdain fan, give it a go. If you're a foodie, this is for you. If you know nothing about cuisine or Bourdain, maybe leave this one be.

No comments:

Post a Comment