Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Austen Fan Fiction: "Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman" trilogy


These Three Remain by Pamela Aidan is the finale of the “Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman” series. Previously, I reviewed Duty andDesire the second in the series. I thought I’d wait a bit in between the two, but I just really wanted to know Darcy’s perspective on the events after he proposes, is rejected, then saves the day, thus I finished the third installment.

Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #3
These Three Remain begins with Darcy going to visit his Aunt, Lady Catherine de Bourgh and running into none other than Miss Elizabeth Darcy, the woman he has just forsworn to forget. Instead of forgetting her, however, he endeavors to embrace his emotions and ask for her hand. He is rejected. Thus ensues the story of Darcy’s humbling, hurt, and self-discovery. The story ends with the double wedding of Darcy to Elizabeth and Bingley to Jane.

The final chapter in the trilogy was enjoyable. I was propelled forward by my desire to see how Darcy’s feelings advanced and how he and Elizabeth ended up together. The details given over how Darcy felt about the rejection and his further actions in response to his rejected proposal were enlightening, but often a bit wordy. The description did not need to be so elaborate. After a while, it became tiresome to read about his hurt feelings. Though I enjoyed reading about his dealings with Lydia and Wickham and the lengths he went to in discovering them and marrying them.

 I found that I truly liked the character of Dy, one of Darcy’s old friends, who has an intriguing side of his own. Georgiana was a wonderful character as well. She was still a shy young girl, but underneath all of that is an intelligent woman who wants to learn and is capable of running her own life.

The ending was what was to be expected. Although, I must admit, I’m always a little thrown off by the sudden pairing of Darcy and Elizabeth. The three novels that Aidan wrote helped explain Darcy’s side, but it is still sudden after being so unsure of the other’s emotions that they end up together and marry so quickly. Darcy is keeping his distance and then a day later, he’s whispering sweet nothings and kissing Elizabeth’s hands. Then they’re married in no time. Where’s the courting? I love me some Pride and Prejudice but the ending is always abrupt, and this book did not change that.

Some of the plot points did not wrap up well. I felt that Aidan should spend some words on explaining what happened in certain events, like with Lady Sayer, and less time talking about Darcy’s nagging feelings.

All in all, I enjoyed the books, the first and third more than the second. The trilogy is an inspired look into the mind and happenings of Mr. Darcy, and Aidan does a fine job of writing in the style of Miss Austen. There were some loop holes that threw me off, but, for the most part, a charming fan fiction.

Again, if you want a similar read to this trilogy, try these:

  • The Three Colonels by Jack Caldwell
  • Mr. Darcy’s Diary by Amanda Grange
Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #2
Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #1

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it through the trilogy! I've read Mr. Darcy's Diary-- it's pretty good. I like Captain Wentworth's personally, but that's because I have a crush on him.

    And I just came across (like 3 minutes ago) a blog post by Jack Caldwell for his latest book: Mr. Darcy Comes to Dinner. Never read him but now I'm curious.

    I just finished another Mary Bennett romance and will be writing a review soon :) Love your reviews always.

    ReplyDelete